About ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for pharmacists
ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for pharmacists has been developed by the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) to provide ready access to reliable anaphylaxis education for pharmacists throughout Australia and New Zealand, at no charge.
Development of ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for pharmacists has included an extensive review process which involved ASCIA members as well as representatives from other key pharmacist stakeholder organisations throughout Australasia.
ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for pharmacists has been updated to Version 5.0 to incorporate updated ASCIA Action Plans and changes to EpiPen® and EpiPen®Jr adrenaline (epinephrine) autoinjectors. The devices have not changed, just the instructions on the label, which now include:
- Reduced injection time from 10 to 3 seconds – this is based on research confirming efficacy and delivery of adrenaline through the 3 second delivery.
- Removal of the massage step after the injection – this has been found to reduce the risk of tissue irritation.
EpiPen®s with a 10 second label can continue to be used and should not be replaced unless they have been used, are just about to expire or have expired.
All EpiPen®s should now be held in place for 3 seconds, regardless of the instructions on the label. However, if they are held for 10 seconds it will not affect the way that the adrenaline works.
- A username and password must be obtained from the Parmacists e-training website registration process to participate in a course.
- ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for pharmacists comprises five modules which ideally should be completed in order.
- Modules 1-4 have evaluations that allow you to monitor your understanding.
- The overall course assessment and certificate is provided in Module 5 where final assessment is undertaken for Modules 1-4.
- You can undertake this course at your own pace.
- Use the Completion Checklist to follow your progress.
- To obtain a Certificate of Completion for ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for pharmacists a result of 80% or higher is required for the Final assessment in Module 5. If this result is not obtained on the first attempt, you may reattempt the assessment after reviewing the course content.